And by sh*t I mean this whole blogging thing. I guess it’s important to have an ongoing internet presence and, like, market my personal brand and stuff. So. Here’s the most f*ck*d up thing on the Internet from today: drunken, um, edible chocolate guy. I know it’s old news by now, but as Martine put it, WTF?
And here’s the most f*ck*d up thing from yesterday: the kid who founded the No Cussing Club has received death threats. Double WTF.
Now it’s time to join the club and stop cussing (except when it’s really important) so that future potentail employers don’t get the wrong idea about me.4 years ago • 0 notes
The WHO recently announced that cancer will overtake heart disease as the number killer of human beings. Scientists believe that around 80 percent of cancer is determined by our lifestyle choices.
Genetics play a role, certainly, but why bother about something we can’t do anything about until gene therapy becomes de rigeur. Meanwhile there is a spectrum of behaviours that we can do something about.
It is an interesting question. What is the critical factor for the increase in the cancer death rate. How has the average diet around the world deteriorated to bring about this higher cancer rate?
First, let us examine the top carcinogenic foods:
1. Any charred food - from burnt popcorn - to burnt toast, is highly carcinogenic.4 years ago • 0 notes
2. Meat in general (in terms of the fats associated) is carcinogenic, especially overcooked meat.
3. Sugar is carcinogenic - whether white or brown. Instead of sugar, substitute honey
4. Stomach cancer is associated with high salt intake, with spicy foods and smoked food
5. Sodas are carcinogenic for a variety of reasons beyond their high sugar content and harmful additives. Sodas have also been proved to leach the minerals - principally calcium - that are temporarily gained through other healthier foods
6. Trans fats found in fries and snack chips are carcinogenic
7. Artificial sweeteners, particularly aspartame, are carcingogenic
8. Excessive alcohol intake is toxic
9. Foods cooked at high temperatures usually contain acrylamide. According to the FDA:Acrylamide is produced industrially for use in products such as plastics, grouts, water treatment products, and cosmetics. Acrylamide is also found in cigarette smoke.Acrylamide caused cancer in animals in studies where animals were exposed to acrylamide at very high doses. Acrylamide causes nerve damage in people exposed to very high levels at work.10. Farm-raised fish and fish products contain high amounts of PCB’s.
I found myself on the verge of tears twice yesterday after watching viral videos that are just the greatest things ever. First, it was Christian the Lion. The pairing with Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” really brought on the water works, which just goes to show that there is still lots of room in the world for sap. Second, it was crazy dancing Matt in his crazy dancing around the world video. Not only was I jealous that he gets to travel all over (how does he finance that, I wonder?), but he finds hordes of people to suround him and do their own crazy dances as he methodically elbows along, something I would describe as the physical equivalent of warbling. Proof that there is plenty of room in the room for joy.4 years ago • 0 notes